Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I need information about the proper cultivation of the elephant's foot plant, Dioscorea elephantipes?

A couple of years ago, I purchased a large (11 inch diameter) Dioscorea elephantipes caudex %26amp; placed it on top of some well-draining potting medium in a shallow-based pot. I put it out on the sun deck in May and by July several vines came growing out, which I supported with a 3 foot trellis. The plant stays out side on the sun deck during the warm months


(I live in Virginia, USA) and stays in my classroom in a sunny, east-facing window the rest of the year. I have read that the plant has a natural, dry domancy period in nature, but my plant's vine stayed green and growing for the last 2 years, not showing any sign of going dormant, so I kept watering it. Perhaps I should have forced it into dormancy, but I didn't know how to proceed, so I didn't. Now the viney top has died back of its own accord. The roots still keep the caudex firmly attached to the soil and I am pretty sure that it still alive and just dormant. So what do I do now? Stop watering until new growth appears?

I need information about the proper cultivation of the elephant's foot plant, Dioscorea elephantipes?
I would ask this question on www.davesgarden.com See if you have luck there


No comments:

Post a Comment